When you already have a flea infestation on your hands, the only way to tackle it is by tackling it head on. Getting rid of these nasty little pests is possible with a three-step program and patience, of course. Remember, fleas go through four stages of development, so it may take some time (up to 3 months) to eliminate an infestation.
ALWAYS remember that sometimes MORE is not BETTER regarding flea products for dogs and cats. Read package directions carefully to avoid using multiple on-pet products with active ingredients that may cause serious health consequences. Following package directions will ensure you effectively wipe out an infestation.
Step 1: Treating Your Pet for Fleas
- Bathe your animal regularly to eliminate dirt and help treat flea infestations. Use a flea comb to remove flea dirt (feces) and fleas. Since fleas don't grasp your pet's hair, many will come out in the water or comb. Make sure you have soapy water at the ready during flea comb sessions so the fleas don’t hop away to live and feed another day.
- Depending on your pet’s own specific needs and what is recommended by a vet, determine which product type to use on your pet. Many people prefer the convenience and effectiveness of monthly topical squeeze-on products while others may prefer other treatments such as oral tablets, shampoos, or collars. Be sure to read and follow the package instructions for your chosen product.
Step 2: Getting Rid of Fleas Inside Your Home
- Wash pet bedding, vacuum your carpets, and treat your household with products approved for indoor use.
- When using any pesticide product for your home, be sure to read and follow the package instructions carefully.
- After vacuuming, immediately empty the canister or bag and throw out the contents to remove any flea eggs or larvae.
Step 3: How to Create a Flea-Free Zone Outdoors
- The outdoor space is just as important as the indoor when it comes to preventing future flea infestations. So, don't forget to spray around your yard and treat your home's foundation. Look for a yard spray that targets fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, and other parasites in your area.
- Remove any brushy debris from your yard and mow regularly.
Take action against fleas before you’re faced with a full-blown infestation. Check pets regularly so you are protecting them by killing the fleas you see and stopping the ones you don't. NextStar® offers a fast-acting solution to help prevent fleas and ticks from harming your pet for up to 30 days. Pet parents can use NextStar® on their pet monthly for 7-way control against fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, chewing lice, flea eggs, flea larvae, and prevents the development of flea pupae.